Thursday, January 31, 2013

Servers

Shortly after that you will be seated at a table, and a person will approach you. If you are deep in a conversation with your friend that you came with, do not continue your conversation while this “person” stands at your table looking directly at you. This individual is called your server and they are there to bring you food and drinks. It is important that you acknowledge them in order to get food and beverages while at the restaurant. If you are familiar with this server concept, it is also important that you do not rudely shoo them away from your table with a gesture or a wave when they approach you because “you are not ready”. You will likely not see them again for a very long time.

4 comments:

  1. As a server for many years - this strikes me immediately as a bad server, not the patrons. Learn who your customer is and pay attention to the surroundings. If the people are in an entranced conversation, don't bother them and if it gets to be too long of a wait, you go, apologize for interrupting and ask that they place their menus on the edge of the table when they're ready for ordering.

    It's a server's job to make the patrons feel comfortable, and at ease. Standing beside a table while they're talking doesn't do that. Don't be surprised when you get a bad tip doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree with you, Emily. I,too, have been a server for many years, and I think it is extremely rude for customers to ignore their server when they approach their table. It take all of about 3 seconds for them to stop talking and say, "We're not ready yet, can you come back in a few minutes please?" It's simple common courtesy and respect. Their server is a person trying to do their job. They did, after all, go to the restaurant to get waited on. They should apologize to their server for treating them less than human.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I disagreed wholeheartedly with Emily as well, but I figured I already said my piece on this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been a server for a long time also and have this advice: They came in to eat and maybe have a few drinks, I immmediately go to the table and get drink orders that way the customers can get me out of the way so they have time to catch up and I will leave them alone. I do the same thing if people are on their phones. You came into my restaurant, if you didn't want to be interrupted during your conversation you should have had it out in your car. Do you go to the bank and have a conversation with another person while the teller is trying to see what you want? It is called CUSTOMER service. If you don't want the service, don't become a customer until you are ready.

    ReplyDelete